Job title: Cook
Hours: Week 1 =27, Week 2 =8. 9-6 every Monday (1 hour unpaid lunch), 9-6 every other Saturday/Sunday (alternate weekends again both days with 1 hour unpaid lunch)
We have been a charitable housing organisation for nearly 60 years. Throughout this time our residents are always at the heart of what we do and the services we provide. We are currently looking for a Cook in our supported sheltered House in Worsley .
As a Cook you will play a pivotal role providing a balanced and nutritional menu of quality meals to our residents.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing a catering service in line with Safer Food, Better Business guidelines
- Providing nutritional, balanced meals that are in line with residents' tastes and individual dietary requirements
- Serving meals on time at the agreed intervals each day
- Preparing, cooking and serving a minimum two course lunch and light evening meal each day
- Planning balanced, nutritional menus on a minimum four week rolling basis in agreement with the residents and House Management as may be required
- Ordering ingredients, equipment and other materials necessary for agreed meal provision within allocated budgets
- Maintaining the kitchen areas as clean, tidy and safe environments at all times including washing up, appropriately discarding rubbish/waste, wiping and cleaning work and cooking surfaces and brushing and mopping the kitchen floors
- Clearing and cleaning of kitchen cupboards as required/instructed
- Rotation of food stocks
- Cleaning and defrosting of fridges and freezers as required/instructed
The successful candidate will be able to communicate and interact well with people, working flexibly, on own initiative and as part of a team.
The role may involve travel for training / meetings, therefore, a willingness to travel is essential.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Competent cook with ability to accommodate individual dietary needs
- Experience of cooking for a number of people at the same time
- To be able to read and write to a good standard
- Show an understanding of the needs of older people
- Ability to carry out all aspects of the role to a high standard at all times
- Food Hygiene Certificate
- Experience of working in supported housing, social care or nursing environment, preferably with older people
- Current, clean driving licence
- First aid certificate
- Knowledge of Health & Safety requirements
- Demonstrate IT competency to a good standard