8 months ago
Sous Chef - Fort William
Salary: £32,000 - £35,000
Scotlands finest luxury hotel and restaurant, where dining is a culinary experience offering the finest dishes using local produce. Our client are now recruiting for an experienced Sous Chef.
Uniquely located amongst the glens, lochs and mountains of the West Highlands of Scotland, offering one of the most relaxing and exciting holidays of a lifetime, where every detail for your comfort and enjoyment has been carefully considered.
Leading the team in the Head Chefs absence; the Sous Chef must be an inspirational leader, motivating and developing the team with their correct example and creating a culture of passion and enthusiasm for the preparation and service of food. The Sous chef will cultivate an excellent working partnership with the restaurant management team.
They must assist in providing food that not only exceeds our guest expectations in flavor, substance and presentation, but is also in line with agreed company & legal standards. This is in addition to ensuring that the food costs of the business are well managed.
Role responsibilities include:
• To work with the restaurant team to understand customer expectations, comments and to handle any complaints to satisfy the customer promptly
• To consistently prepare and cook all food to the standards and dish specifications, and train the team to do the same
• To be hands on and present during the busy service periods
• To be a team player at all times and be prepared to be flexible in order to ensure that all operations are always as guest-focused, efficient and profitable as possible.
• To ensure that the hotel's Health & Safety Policy and Food Safety Management System are adhered to in the kitchen including all related paperwork checks & record keeping
• To ensure the menu, daily specials and special menus are available, as appropriate
• To ensure functions menus are managed effectively in conjunction with the manager in charge
• To ensure that the kitchen team are fully prepared, stocked and set for service
• To be responsible for the performance of the whole kitchen team and the delivery of quality food in the absence of the head chef
• Be a role model for the team by actively displaying consistent cooking skills, a positive and proactive attitude and hygienic appearance at all times
• To assist the Head Chef with recruitment, supervision, planning, training, coaching and developing of the kitchen team to meet the needs of the guest, the business and the company
• To be responsible for the performance of the whole kitchen team and the delivery of quality food in the absence of the Head chef
• To carry out recruitment, supervision, planning, training, coaching and developing of the kitchen team to meet the needs of the guest, the business and the company
• To actively be part of the kitchen management team, ensuring on-job training for the team
• Assist in the training and coaching of the floor team, especially in relation to food and kitchen matters, lead tastings and food training at shift briefings
• To promote best practice within the kitchen & constantly look to improve processes & procedures
• To assist the head chef responsibly and make follow-up checks to ensure the performance of the kitchen and kitchen team
• To lead tastings and train all team members in food knowledge at every opportunity
• To encourage team members to continually improve their performance - recognizing, praising and rewarding excellent performance in the team
• To develop strong team relations by encouraging open communication between all members of the restaurant team both front and back of house
• To spot talent and assist with succession planning for kitchen team & recruit the 'correct' people.
• To ensure that kitchen team understands the correct preparation, cooking, presentation & service of food
• In the head chefs absence; carry out formal discussions with the team, provide updates & evidence for your Manager to support possible disciplinary processes
• In the absence of the head chef, to attend, communicate effectively at & contribute to weekly management meetings and shift briefings every day
• To work with the Head Chef to collaborate and devise an inspiring and engaging ongoing training and development calendar for chefs
• To take responsibility for your own career path and continuous self-improvement
This is a full time position, no live in but help with temporary accommodation if needed.
Additional benefit of annual gratuity.
Essential Skills & Requirements:
Experience working as a Sous Chef in a Rosetted establishment.
Drivers licence is essential.
Additional Resources are an Employment Business and an Employment Agency as defined within The Conduct of Employment Agencies & Employment Businesses Regulations 2003.