Travel Operations Manager up to £27k - London
Our Client is looking for a Tour Leader / Travel Manager / Travel Operations Executive with drive and passion to join their operations department. With your primary focus being on safety and risk management as well as improving and maintaining excellent standards of quality and customer experience, you will manage around 10 different itineraries with 40+ departures, within the Asia region, in particular, China. You will work within a small operations team, reporting to the Senior Operations Manager.
The role includes the following key functions:
- Prepare and ensure all customer facing information is up-to-date
- Reviewing and updating all safety documentation for your portfolio.
- Booking new departure dates in cooperation with the sales/flights teams
- Monitoring participant numbers and ensuring/monitoring profitability
- Liaising with ground handlers to ensure all operational details are correct
- Managing the ground handlers and negotiating rates.
- Dealing with queries from clients
- Giving comprehensive briefings to the tour leader
- Liaising with the flights team to ensure flights are all in order for each departure
- Managing ground handler payments and ensuring accuracy of invoices
- Effectively handling emergencies / crises (on call duty including evenings and weekends on a rota basis).
- Occasionally travelling to lead the tour, conduct safety inspections and recce new routes.
- Gathering feedback and conducting debriefs in order to continually improve safety and quality
- Liaising with ground handlers with a view to implementing changes
- Responding to passenger complaints and feedback
- Ensuring ground handlers in each country are working within their contract
- Taking responsibility for the maintenance and improvement of the quality and most importantly, the safety of your tours
- Training and ongoing appraisal of both UK and local leaders.
- Liaising with the flights department regarding suitable airlines and airfare budgets for future challenges
- Customer Service: preparing participants for their trips, sending out visa application info, vaccinations, kit list etc, joining instructions, updates to their itineraries and flight details etc.
- Contracting leaders and doctors, and ensuring they are prepared for their tour with briefings, manual and relevant documents.
- Attending WTM and other trade exhibitions as appropriate/required
- Assessing current GH costs and seeing where cost reductions could be made. Acquiring shadow quotes and negotiating with ground handlers to reduce those costs
We are looking for someone with the relevant group/charity tour operation and adventure travel experience, who has a sound knowledge of principles of safety and risk management.
You should have experience of leading adventure travel groups and working in remote destinations. Work in the charity sector is desirable but not a pre-requisite.
Personal or work-related knowledge of China, particularly the Beijing Great Wall area, is desirable.
You should be a self-starter who can manage his/her own time efficiently, and who is not fazed by balancing a workload of wide-ranging tasks. You should be able to competently project manage many tasks, with a high level of care to all at the same time.
Specifically, excellent attention to detail, a good level of spoken and written English and a focus on organisation and following processes is absolutely key